This is a lovely, quick and easy recipe for some delicious vanilla almond cupcakes that I made the other week. The cake portion is nice and moist, and the icing was delicious! Something about simple, white cupcakes appeals to me so I loved this recipe- especially when paired with fresh raspberries to go with it. Enjoy!
1 package (18.25 oz) plain vanilla cake mix
4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1 c. water
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
4 large eggs
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1 stick butter, room temperature
4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. almond extract
4-5 c. confectioner’s sugar, as needed
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees.
2. Mix all cake ingredients in bowl on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl down with spatula and beat at medium speed for 90 seconds.
3. Spoon mixture into cupcake liners, 2/3 full (will make about 2 dozen cupcakes)
4. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until tops are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed.
5. Toast almonds until lightly brown in oven, 3-4 minutes.
6. Make the icing: beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed for 1 minute. Add almond extract and 4 c. confectioner’s sugar; use additional sugar if necessary to get icing to desired consistency. Beat for about 1 minute longer.
7. Once cooled, ice the cupcakes and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Enjoy!