NOTE: GIVEAWAY ENDED. Erin (who posted this) told us she has about 20 hair ties in stock if anyone would like to purchase some from her! She’s offering our readers a fantastic deal! You pay $2 each or 6 for $10. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with order info and if you mention “Saving Money Living Life” you will get an extra hair tie FREE That’s a huge savings over going out to a boutique and buying some.
Have you ever heard of Emi-Jay hair ties? Well, if you haven’t you’re missing out on a hair revolution! I was very excited when I ran across these colorful and stylish ponytail holders one day at a local boutique. Don’t be fooled, purchasing just one hair tie could end up costing you your entire lunch money for the day! The young entrepreneurs who created this hair sensation rake in anywhere from 3 to 5 dollars per hair tie! They can be found in almost any magazine and on celebrities such as Courtney Cox and Sarah Jessica Parker (just to name a few!). Not only do these hair ties do wonders for your hair, but they can also function as a stylish bracelet! No more ugly elastic rubber bands wrapped around your wrist only to cut off your circulation.
There’s just one simple solution for a stylish girl on a budget…make them yourself! Literally, this is one of the easiest projects I have ever done and it’s so much fun.
Satin Elastic Hair Tie Tutorial
1. Get some satin elastic in 5/8″ width. Emi-Jay hair ties are made from satin fold-over elastic, which can easily be found on Etsy. It’s super inexpensive and comes in a variety of colors and patterns.
2. Cut your elastic into about 12″ lengths. One yard of elastic will yield three hair ties.
3. Match up the ends and tie an overhand knot. The loop of your hair tie should measure about 5-3/4″, but I just eyeballed it.
4. Trim the ends at a diagonal, leaving about 1″ of the ends sticking out from the knot.
5. Done! Tie up your hair, wear it on your wrist, or give your extras to the people you love! No doubt it will put a smile on their face.
Cost: 10 yards of elastic on Etsy for $5.30
Effort: minimal- made all 30 hair ties in about 20 minutes while watching TV
Total cost per hair tie is less than 18 cents each!
5 pack of Emi-Jay’s =$10.99 so 30 Emi-Jay’s = $65.94 (NOT including shipping)
OR you could make 30 yourself for ONLY $5.30 (Including shipping)
TOTAL SAVINGS = $60.64 or 91.96%
You can purchase elastic from any of these Etsy sellers.
- You can purchase 5 yards (1 yard of each color) for $2.75 plus $2.50 for shipping. Also, available in 10 yards for $4.99.
- 10 yards (1 yard of each color) for $5.85 plus $2.25 shipping
99087010/10-yards-58-and-12- fold-over-elastic?ref=sr_ gallery_4&ga_search_query=5% 2F8+fold+over+elastic+by+the+ yard&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0& ga_search_type=all
- Sells each color by the yard so you can get as much or as little as you need of each color. Each color is an individual order but is reasonably priced.
Original Emi-Jay’s can be found online at http://www.emi-jay.com/
This is a guest post by Erin M., one of my co-workers at Pure Barre & friend. She was recently married to Blake and loves to share bargains and cooking tips. Thanks so much, Erin for sharing this with us! We can’t wait to make some ourselves!
Erin has generously offered up 3 of these Emi-Jay knockoffs she created for us to giveaway to one lucky reader. You can enter to win 3 ways:
1. Subscribe to us by RSS Feed, or by joining our newsletter (sign up at the top of the website).
2. “Like” us on Facebook.
3. Follow us on Pinterest.
Leave a comment for each entry & good luck! Giveaway ends 4/1.