This morning I had a craving for something sweet that wouldn’t take too long to make. Luckily, I had all the ingredients on hand to make one of my favorite morning breakfast treats- Orange Coffee Cake. I’ve made this many times to take places (for a brunch, morning meeting, etc) and everyone always loves it. Even better, everyone talks about how hard it must be to make, when in reality it only takes a few minutes to whip it all up and slide into the oven. So here is the delicious recipe- I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Orange Coffee Cake
For coffee cake:
2 tbsp butter melted, plus more for pan
1 (16.3oz) can refrigerated biscuits (I usually use Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers)
1/4 c. minced walnuts
1/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp orange zest (usually takes 1/2 an orange)
1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp. orange juice (or more as needed)
1. Preheat oven to 350; butter a 9 inch round pan. I usually use a springform pan, but a regular pan will work as well.
2. Separate the biscuit dough into 8 biscuits. Place one whole biscuit in the middle of the pan; cut the remaining biscuits in half, forming 14 half-circles. Arrange the pieces around the center biscuit with cut sides facing in. (see picture below)
3. Brush melted butter over the tops of the biscuits
4. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, granulated sugar, and orange zest. Mix well and sprinkler over biscuits. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. (see picture below)
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, and orange juice. Blend until smooth, adding more orange juice if needed to thin.
6. Drizzle glaze over the warm coffee cake and serve. Enjoy!
Go here to see more of our favorite recipes!